Atty. Antonio M. Bernardo
Executive Committee Chairman & Senior Founding Partner, BPCL Law
Atty. Tony Bernardo’s areas of practice are Real Estate, Customs, Insurance and Corporate Law.
Atty. Bernardo has established a successful career in both the private and government sectors after completing his notable academic and scholastic training.
He pursued his college degree at the Ateneo de Manila University graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics in 1975, as an Ateneo College scholar and as a National Science Development Board (NSDB) scholar.
He then took up law at the Ateneo de Manila University, School of Law and graduated as Valedictorian of the Law Class of 1988. He took the Bar Examinations in the same year and landed second place. In April, 1989, he placed second in the Real Estate Brokers’ Licensure Examinations.
Atty. Bernardo started work in the private sector, after graduating from college, as a management trainee at the Ayala Group of Companies. He then went on to Universal Reinsurance Corporation (URC), where he quickly rose from Sales Assistant to Vice President at a young age. He then moved to Ayala Corporation as a Senior Division Manager while being seconded to URC.
Atty. Bernardo occupied several management positions in other private companies, among which are: Director of Toyota Motors Philippines Corporation; Chairman of First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund, Inc. and the First Metro Save and Learn Fixed Income Fund, Inc.; President of Pacific Union Insurance Company and President of Siddcor Insurance Corporation.
Atty. Bernardo was appointed to various positions in government: Secretary of the Commission on Appointments; Undersecretary of the Department of Energy; Undersecretary of the Department of Finance; Officer-in-Charge of the Social Security System; Commissioner of the Bureau of Customs; and Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board.
Having since returned to private legal practice, he serves as Chairman of the Executive Committee and Senior Founding Partner of BPCL Law.
- Bernardo, Placido, Chan & Lasam (BPCL) Law
- Member, Philippine Bar
- Real Estate Broker
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP)
- Chamber of Real Estate & Builders’ Associations (CREBA)
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Ateneo de Manila University
- Bachelor of Laws, Ateneo de Manila University School of Law
- Valedictorian, Ateneo School of Law Class 1988
- 2nd place, Philippine Bar Exam
- 2nd place, Real Estate Brokers’ Licensure Exam
- Vice President, Universal Reinsurance Corporation (URC)
- Senior Division Manager, Ayala Corporation
- Director, Toyota Motors Philippines
- Chairman, First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund, Inc.
- Chairman, First Metro Save and Learn Fixed Income Fund, Inc.
- President, Pacific Union Insurance Company
- President, Siddcor Insurance Corporation
- Secretary, Commission on Appointments
- Undersecretary, Department of Energy
- Undersecretary, Department of Finance
- Officer-in-Charge, Social Security System
- Commissioner, Bureau of Customs
- Commissioner & CEO, Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board (HLURB)